Sunday, December 8, 2013

TOMORROW ISN'T PROMISED...May I have this dance? Another chance, perhaps?

Sweaty palms and anxious hearts, for $5,000,000 I ask you, "What is the day following today?" Some of you rapidly respond without hesitation in full confidence, "Monday!" The overachievers are doing their calculations and have arrived presenting their findings with, "December 9th." Still others, have begun to 'google it' (as that is now a commonly accepted verb) and would like to phone a friend just to be sure. Allow me to jog your memory a bit. "The sun will come up _____." If you could call up Annie she'd tell you that the day following today is TOMORROW. Why the lesson? Well, when that plane lands in your life, you too will realize that tomorrow isn't promised. My advice, live out this truth so that your joy may be complete and you will not be found lacking. Live it out in your family, with your friends, your husband, kids, co-workers, people you meet on the street etc. Live it or choose to survive it...when it hits you square in the face. It truly is a choice someone in the world is making with every breath. I pray that when I exhale it is with greater wisdom than the last time I successfully performed that task. An occurrence so natural that it is overlooked with gratitude at INHALE squandered elsewhere....until you learn what wheezing is, emphysema, intubation etc. As I write, a friend of mine has a sister learning this lesson the hard way. And with my every breath I am praying that she gets the chance to live this lesson out loud one day breathing on her own, but never again unaware of the Author and Perfecter of her faith. Praying sweet sister, praying still. TOMORROW ISN'T PROMISED! Exclamation not without purpose. A few months back I attended a family wedding. I was told that everyone was going to be there and it was important not only to celebrate my cousin, but also because it was uncertain how much longer my grandpa would be around. When it comes to grandparents I honestly got the shaft when I try to recall memories of them and with them. My grandma was my best friend and we called each other, "Dolly." Her husband was selectively interested in me. On the other side, my grandma always seemed angry about something, and her husband giving "the look" but laughing often...bringing a sense of balance to the home. Always closer to him than her, but wondering why I still felt something missing. I NEVER felt known. I loved/love all four. The only person who ever knew me was my my Mom's mom. Simply Tom's daughter to the others. Some would say there were just too many grandkids, but I think what my pastor says applies, "Your past does not excuse you but it explains you." Numbers are not an excuse for not investing well, but an explanation. In fact, it is numbers in the form of money that can divide a family effortlessly. A will can take precious people out of your wedding photos in a heartbeat without explanation. Something neither I, nor my family will ever fully understand. Dirty laundry? Nope, just telling YOUR story and happen to live a few details myself. Looking at my grandpa I knew my name would soon be forgotten and tomorrow wasn't promised. So the music began to play and I asked him to dance. At the close of the song I kissed him on the cheek and said, "I love you Grandpa," taking him back to his seat. He didn't know who I was that night. Not because of the dementia but distance in numbers of miles and kids. Is it time for you to dance? TOMORROW ISN'T PROMISED! Exclamation not without purpose. I rarely forget to say, "I love you," and there's a story behind that. In seventh grade, Cancer had turned my grandma, my Dolly into a skeleton. Emaciated, veins protruding, and black and blue all over. I will never forget that night as I headed off to dance class. "Bye Dolly" was all I could muster up in the moment...and "I love you" never again spoken. Cancer took my grandma while I danced. What I didn't know then, and later learned was that not all had this same bond. I remember climbing onto my mom's lap saying, "I don't want them to put her in the ground." I knew nothing of Heaven back then...too young I suppose. You never know who won't be at the table tomorrow. Lavish "I love you" in the present. Does your "I love you" carry the weight of regret? TOMORROW ISN'T PROMISED! Exclamation not without purpose. I used to go on prayer drives late at night, and at times I still do...but I've recently learned the beauty of walking in expectation and face planted praying in my own home. What is it in your life that you need to Jericho? What is it that you are asking God to claim victory over? What is it that calls you to walk in obedience? What is it that you need to give thanks for in advance before having eyes to see? I know mine. I spend a portion of my day on her. Often times saying out loud, "Daddy remind me who's praying too?" When you're exhausted in your own prayers and swimming in your own tears, you need that reminder. Tomorrow isn't promised so I ask God to fight my battles for me..and we just talk. Only God can wake up a loved one to truth, but you can plant it in prayer. Only God can move mountains, but prayer can move God. How are you spending your today? Is it time to take a walk? TOMORROW ISN'T PROMISED! Exclamation not without purpose. Have you learned the art and joy of celebration? I'm not talking about birthdays or Christmas, Valentine's Day, or milestone moments. I'm talking about celebrating people in your life daily. Are you celebrating the victories in the lives of those you love? Victories over addiction, debt, unhealthy relationships etc. Can you be sincerely happy for the accomplishments of others even on your off days? Are you empowering their day exhaling wisdom absorbed in moments on empty? It doesn't have to involve monetary means, ya know. Do you send a quick message to encourage, pray for, challenge, and inspire? Do YOU have people in your life who do? The ones who ask about the things that weigh on your heart when others conclude that you're fine. I don't do fine. If I ask you how you are I'm genuinely interested in your heart-level response and I don't ask if I haven't the time to listen. Who do you need to celebrate? TOMORROW ISN'T PROMISED! Exclamation not without purpose. I don't ever want to have too many dollars that I forget from where they came. So far it's looking like I'm safe on that one. After blessing a sweet sister of mine, I wrote, "LOVE does this..so thank LOVE and forget our names, those who step in at the chance to fail once again at reflecting LOVE unmatched." I meant it. Consider it an honor to have that chance to strive and fail, not even coming close to His reflection in the way you love. Love anyway! Are you living for retirement or with the knowledge that your return is not on this soil? Are you front-end loaded or back-end loaded in the way you live your todays? TOMORROW ISN'T PROMISED! Exclamation not without purpose. Christmas is around the corner as I write. Who do you need to forgive? It matters to hear those words spoken. Matthew 5:23-24 reminds you to GO. I'm not gonna lie, when I became a Christian (a follower of Christ) I also became a sponge. There was Christmas and Easter, Jesus and God...but the connections between I knew not. I can't dish out what I don't carry, having that be a decision made on the cross...so I forgive instantly. 1 John 4:7-21 is a great reminder of what LOVE should look like. Do you need a lesson in love, or will you allow LOVE to teach you? As many often hear me say, you are a steward of time, money, and even people in your path FOR A SEASON. Don't wait for the lesson. Live instead, with, "May I have this dance" on your lips." Another chance, perhaps?" Give hilariously, love extravagantly, and live to inhale gratitude and exhale wisdom. TOMORROW ISN'T PROMISED. Don't fall asleep till you WAKE UP.

No comments:

Post a Comment